Booking at a Private Visit – step-by-step guide for Visit Organisers
A step-by-step guide covering everything from booking exams to receiving results.
- Create your account if you don’t have one already.
- Check booking periods and exam sessions.
- Read our terms and conditions for Visit Organisers available here.
- For instrumental and singing exams, check that you have enough exams to hold a visit and how many days you will need – see our exam timings.
- Contact your local ABRSM representative to discuss your request for a Private Visit and possible dates for instrumental and singing exams.
- Apply for approval for your venue if you don’t have this already. You can find details here.
- Once your venue is approved, share your venue code with any Permitted Applicants.
- Have all your candidate information ready:
- Name - as it should appear on the mark form and certificate. This must exactly match the name on any candidate ID document needed for the exam. Find out about candidate ID.
- Date of birth
- ABRSM Contact ID – for candidates who have been entered before using our new online service.* Find out about Contact IDs
- Subject and grade or level
- Any specific needs access requirements or reasonable adjustments
- Any alternative ‘presented by’ name
- Email address for the candidate (or parent/carer) – optional for Private Visit bookings. Find out why we ask for a candidate email address.
* For candidates in China, Hong Kong, Macao, Malaysia, Singapore and Taiwan you will need their National ID number, not their ABRSM Contact ID.
- During the booking period log in to your account, click ‘Private Visit’ then select your Private Visit.
- Enter your candidate and exam details (including any access requirements or reasonable adjustments and any alternative ‘presented by’ names). You can enter these directly into our booking service or you can use our bulk upload option to add a list of candidates. Find out more about bulk upload here.
- Check you booking summary and pay for your exams.
- We will send you an email to confirm your booking and payment
You can add candidates to a Private Visit at any time during the booking period.
Make sure all details are correct before confirming and paying for your exams. You cannot go back and make changes once you have submitted your booking.
- Private Visit confirmation – we confirm the visit once booking has closed. We then email the Visit Organiser and any Permitted Applicants to let them know that they can log in to view their exam dates and times. Candidates with an account also receive a confirmation email.
- View and download a list of candidates – you can view and download a list of all candidates booked at your visit, including those booked by Permitted Applicants.
- Rearrange your instrumental and singing timetable – you can make changes or lock the timetable up to 48 hours before the visit start date. Find out more here.
- Lock your instrumental and singing timetable (optional) – once you’ve made all your changes you have the option to lock the timetable. This also sends a confirmation email to applicants and candidates. Find out more here.
- Confirming final dates and times - it is the responsibility of the Visit Organiser to inform their candidates and any Permitted Applicants of their finalised exam dates and times for instrumental and singing exams.
- Cancelling an exam - applicants can cancel an exam through their account. If you cancel an exam within 14 days of booking we will refund the full fee. If you decide to cancel your entire Private Visit, it is your responsibility to inform any permitted applicants and candidates. Find out about cancelling exams.
- Amending a candidate’s booking - you cannot change exam or candidates details once you’ve paid for the booking. However, we can make some small changes for you. Find out about amending candidate details.
- Results and certificates - we email applicants when results are ready to view online. This is usually within a week of the exam for instrumental and singing exams and around four weeks after the exam for paper-based Music Theory exams, subject to quality assurance checks.
Candidates with an account will also receive a results email seven days after the applicant.
We send certificates to the applicant by post. Find out about results and certificates.
- Appeals and feedback – our policies and guidance for making appeals or sending feedback are available here.